Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Banba vs Manba

Banba vs Manba
WOW. This topic has exploded lately! Since it has been revisited over and over recently in the 109 server, I thought I'd summarize both styles here, and give a little history and a few examples!! Even some of us who have been around forever still have things to learn, and I learned a lot while researching banba!
So! Let's start!

EDIT: After a discussion with a reliable source, it has been discovered FINALLY that banba is not actually a substyle of gyaru fashion!!! It was a trend that Angeleek tried to have catch on in the gyaru comm, and it did not catch on. So our belief today that banba is a substyle is actually false! It was a trend, not a substyle. 

First, let's start with what we know and love: Manba!!


If you've been around gyaru style for very long, chances are you have seen manba! The dark skin, bright hair, and white white faces are hard to miss!


Let's look at the key points of manba fashion:

  • Dark tan.
  • White face paint to highlight the nose, the lips, and around the eyes. White on the cheeks for manba, or ending under the eye for yamanba.
  • Unnatural colored hair, often huge, long, colored extensions.
  • Generally a tropical theme. Not required, but often seen, as if you just left the beach.
  • Absurd nails!!
  • Generally bright colored clothing, you won't often see manba in only natural colors.
  • Light colored eye contacts.




Now let's look at banba!



Somehow it has become common belief that banba = a toned down version of manba. While that could possibly be true, it is not the right way to think of banba.
Banba is the predecessor to kurogyaru and tsuyome. It was directly inspired by Hollywood, and celebrities like Paris Hilton and Britney Spears, which makes so much sense when you look at the tans and the outfit styling!



The key points of banba fashion:

  • Dark tan.
  • Dark eyes. Dark eyeshadow, dark undereye. Heavy lashes.
  • White can be used in a shape on the face similar to yamanba; up to the browbone and just beneath the eye, as well as in a stripe down the nose. White/nude lip as well. However, this white is not done with paint, and blends into the skin more than the white makeup of manba.
  • Hair is usually silver, blonde, or brown. 
  • A tropical theme is not really seen.
  • Sometimes called "barbie" gyaru, because of its Hollywood glam influence.
  • Fashion is generally 2000s inspired. Picture Paris Hilton in the 2000s.
  • Everything is more naturally colored. Sometimes a monotone look is achieved with brown/black hair, brown skin, and brown/black clothing.


Edit: banba can have makeup similar to yamanba, as mentioned above. However it is not going to be BIG flashy white manba cheeks, etc.





Hopefully this article has helped shed some light onto the banba vs manba confusion! Please let me know what you think, and which style is your favorite!!
Until next time!
-Kelsey

11 comments:

  1. Such a needed post! I always thought banba was toned down manba until the recent convos about it popping up. Been obsessed with banba lately, my middle school heart is in love πŸ˜‚πŸ’˜πŸ’˜πŸ’˜

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey♡
    I did some research on the banba style as well and I would love to know what were your sources!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember the first time I came across the term banba, but I do remember falling in love with it! Like immediate *heart eyes* ( ♥A♥) Sadly I never could find much about it back then (on tumblr), and a lot of the styles started to get a bit confusing. So thank you for this post!

    (ps. I reaalllly want to try banba but I can't get makeup to stay put on my nose for the life in me lmao, I just want a nice nose stripe (T^T)
    - Amiman♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss styles definitely can get blurred and confusing!! And I'll dm you about makeup! <3

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this! I live for both! But Manba is definitely one that I love most because of my queen Kaa-tan <3
    ~Kieli♥
    bunnycraftydream.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I feeeeeeeel you for sure! Manba goals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soooo all this time I've been in love with banba instead of kurogyaru?? hahaha.
    Great post Kelsey, you did a lot of research ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg I'd love to see you in banba!! That would be killer!!
      Thank you so much!! Glad you enjoyed!

      Delete
  7. thank you for the post, I really need to try banba! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for writing this article! I had no idea what the differences were between the two as I don't really wear the old styles, so this was an interesting read. I can definitely see where tsuyome got their influence from!

    ReplyDelete