Search This Blog

Friday, July 10, 2020

10 Weeks of Gyaru Blogging: Mixing Things Up!

An alternative title could be: Gyaru is not inspiring me right now.
I've been into Gyaru for nearly 10 years by now. And in the past few years I've really pushed the boundaries of my looks. I've tanned, I've made outrageous wigs, headpieces, outfits, nails, platforms; you name it, I have probably tried it. It was starting to feel like I hit a wall, then I realized...I'm bored. Gyaru isn't inspiring me like it used to. I see the amazing gals I have saved in my inspo folders, and I still love them dearly! And love their looks! But when it comes to my own looks, I feel shoved into a box. Like there are set parameters on what I can do.
I don't want to look like a duplicate of those girls. I don't want to replicate outfits and looks already done.
I got into Gyaru because it was unique. Why, then, would I join a fashion centered around saying "F*** THE RULES" just to follow more rules? Many of the "rules" that original gals had don't exist in our modern day world. Over time, Gyaru has evolved both as a style and as a cultural phenomenon. What gals were seen doing 20+ years ago may not be seen today. For example, the way Gyaru is presented in Japan has changed into something much more calm and focused on "beauty." Tans are not super extreme, and there is a much more "modern" look to them. Outside of Egg (btw check out the Egg Girls, if the Egg models don't inspire you too much!) because that's just something different now, you still don't see the extreme looks that you used to see, such as Ganguro, Manba, or even much Tsuyome. Gyaru changes. And it has to, or it will die! So why are we in the Western comm so focused on sticking to rules?
Today I was supposed to do a look that is a style I don't really go for usually. But I just wasn't inspired. So instead, I decided to mix up concepts for some contrasted fun. So here it is! T-shirt, sweats, and outrageous makeup.



What??? Manba without white makeup??
Yep. Here's a close-up!


At the end of the day, Gyaru is about being wild and breaking rules. Societal rules, beauty rules, and feminine rules. So get out there, be crazy, and break some rules!!


Thanks for reading! What crazy look do you want to try??
-Juupitan


1 comment:

  1. I know I'm late on this but I wanted to say, you are such a gift to us! Also if I ever get to working on this idea of a gyaru comic based off of gals in our communnity, I'm totally drawing your character with this makeup style! It's so perfect!!
    - Amiman♥

    ReplyDelete